Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let the fun begin

So I have purchased several books and checked out a whole bunch of tutorials and I decided that I want to be an android application developer. What does that mean for me? Well first that means I should learn Java. On my initial research it seems pretty straight forward and very similar to C/C++ which I learned in college. Secondly I should get some kind of instructor led training so I have some kind of mentor to help me when I have a problem. I am planning to attend an informational meeting on June 20th at the University of Washington regarding a new "Android Application Developement Certification" that they are offering next year. And Lastly, I should probably try to develop some kind of application from start to finish just to see if I can figure it out on my own. So that's just what I set out to do.

After a week of painfully trying to get the development environment of Eclipse working right, I was just about ready to pull my hair out dealing with all the AVDs and SDKs and JDKs and all those funny accronyms that I must now learn. Nothing seems to be compatible. Oracle downloads don't seem to mesh up with Eclipse software. It's just a nightmere. I'm starting to think creating the apps is the easy part and the hard part is just getting the development environment working. I did manage to get one of Eclipse competitors, called Netbeans, up and running. I was able to successfully get a "Hello World" app to run in it although I was not able to compile it into anything actually executable outside of the development environment (IDE).

No comments:

Post a Comment